Ok, ok, thus far we’ve covered the rankings for the Top 40ish Point Guards, Top 45ish Shooting Guards and the Top 50ish Power Forwards for fantasy basketball 2014. Today we’re going small, small forwards that is! I look at this group and I don’t think it aint so bad. Double negative! There are a bunch of guys middle to late who I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on and neither should you. Let’s get to it, shall we?
1. Lebron James – I think he really went back to Cleveland because he couldn’t take people hating on him anymore for the way he left. His ego is too big!
2. James Harden – Went over him in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
3. Kevin Durant – 5 months of KD is still better than anyone on this list below him. And don’t forget, it’s not like you’re going to be plugging in zero stats until he comes back. Unless you’re in a super deep league. Then maybe.
4. Paul George – Went over him in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball
5. Carmelo Anthony – He had 21 FGA per last year and averaged 27.4 ppg. Anything less than a .450 FG and you’re really flirting with FG disaster … but I’m just quibbling!
6. Kawhi Leonard – There is nothing he can’t do. He’s actually Superman but walks around looking like a regular black guy. He’s that amazing!
7. Nicolas Batum – You wouldn’t really know it by looking at his numbers but Nic is a pretty damn boring player to own. He can bore me to death anytime!
8. Rudy Gay –For a guy who averaged 20/6 with around a block, three and a steal per last year, nobody seems to really show him much love. Fine, I’ll take him! You don’t have to twist my arm or anything.
9. Klay Thompson – Went over him in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
10. Chandler Parsons – I wouldn’t mind owning some Chandler Parsons. Cat’s long out of the bag though so gots to pay!
11. Gordon Hayward – Very solid all around but watch that FG. You better watch it!
12. Josh Smith – Went over him in the Top 50ish Power Forwards for Fantasy Basketball.
13. DeMar DeRozan – Went over him in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
14. Jabari Parker – Ladies and germs, I present to you the 2014-15 NBA Rookie of the Year, said the guy who told you Michael Carter-Williams would win Rookie of the Year last year.
15. Tobias Harris – Went over him in the Top 50ish Power Forwards for Fantasy Basketball.
16. Luol Deng – To all the newbie Heat fans since 2010, go get your Luol Deng jersey over at NBA.com! What are you waiting for?
17. Jeff Green – I’m a Jeff Green fan. I would like to own Jeff Green. I would not like to own his .412 FG from a year ago though so I’ve got a problem. I’m gambling he shoots better this year!
18. Andrew Wiggins – He may struggle with percentages but should be an immediate fantasy contributor. He better be for Minnesota’s sake! (and maybe yours)
19. Kyle Korver – Went over him in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
20. Tyreke Evans – Went over his ass in the Top 45ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
21. Andre Iguodala – He took a career low 7.3 FGA last season and now he’s just become the dirty work guy. IDK, nice guy to have for the counting stats I guess.
22. Paul Pierce – 14/5, a steal and a three and a half per sound about right for him. You know, sort of like last year!
23. J.R. Smith – Went over him in the Top 40ish Shooting Guards for Fantasy Basketball.
24. Danilo Gallinari – I wouldn’t expect the production from 2012-13 when he averaged 16/5 and almost a steal and two threes per. Maybe a slow start could lead to a buy low situation. If you draft him, that means don’t sell him low if he gets off to a slow start. Reverse psychology!
25. Trevor Ariza – I don’t know, Trevor hit fantasy lightening a year ago. Last year he shot .456 FG against a career .434. He shot .407 from three against a career .347. He shot .772 FT against a career .696. I can’t see him doing it again on a different team. Ergo, I see him being over drafted! Don’t be that guy who overdrafts him! You’ve been warned, son.
26. Giannis Antetokounmpo – Sometimes I wonder if his name was something like Mike Smith, would he really still get all the hype he gets? Probably not! Still another one with decent counting stats to go along with, most likely, poor percents and playing time issues. Sigh.
27. DeMarre Carroll – Percents. Check. Threes. Check. Boards. Check. Points. Ok. Steals. Check. Lots of checks and an Ok. Okay!
28. C.J. Miles – He’s never sustained minutes when he’s had the opportunity and I can’t really see it starting now. Crazier things have happened though! Doubt it. You’ll get threes in a worst case scenario at least. Probably.
29. Tony Wroten – I could see him around 13/3/3 with 25ish mpg. If he’s getting north of 30 mpg consistently then 16/4/4 is likely. Unlikely!
30. Matt Barnes – Wow, he’s really crapped his bed this pre-season but, for me, that just means more draft value as he slides. It’s a loooong season, boys and girls.
31. Marvin Williams – I look at Charlotte’s front court and see Al Jefferson, Noah Vonleh and and Marvin Williams! I see small window of opportunity here for Marvin. Hmmm. Don’t go cray cray though, he’s still Marvin Williams!
32. Wes Johnson – People are giving Draymond Green all sorts of love this pre-season but, hey, guess what? Wes also can get you over a steal, three and a block per. Just thought I’d mention it.
33. Marcus Morris – He’ll compete for minutes with P.J. Tucker and Gerald Green but could wind up being the best of the bunch. Most likely, he’ll have to be efficient because 30+ minutes of regular burn will be hard to come by unless he’s just soooo good.
34. Doug McDermott – White guys can shoot! They can’t really jump though.
35. Ersan Ilyasova – Went over him in the Top 50ish Power Forwards for Fantasy Basketball.
36. Terrence Ross – I see improvements on his 11 ppg/3 rpg from a year ago. Modest improvements! Threes!
37. Gerald Green – Will have to produce at the three this season if he’s going to produce. It’s a bit crowded, y’all!
38. Vince Carter – I see old Vince still doing his thang, man. You know, a smattering of points and close to 2 threes per. What else did you expect? He’s ranked 36th! Feel free to drop him down into the low 40s and grab higher upside guys if you’d like. It’s not like I’m related to the guy or anything.
39. Rodney Hood – Not to be confused with his more famous sibling, Robin. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. He’ll be minutes challenged behind Gordon Hayward though. As if you didn’t know!
40. P.J. Tucker – It’s going to be difficult for him to replicate those numbers from last year. 30 mpg and what not. Regression!
41. Otto Porter – I like his upside and he’s having a great training camp. Now if Paul Pearce could just retire!
42. Wilson Chandler – Should start off ok but I’d move him if he does. In two shakes! Shake him off, shake him off. Like Taylor Swift!
43. Hollis Thompson – Everyone on the Sixers deserves consideration!
44. Corey Brewer – I think he’s proven he’s not a 30+ minute starter type. But! If utilized correctly he can produce in small doses for you. I’m talking about the coach utilizing him correctly, not you!
45. Evan Turner – I just can’t imagine Evan Turner as a Boston Celtic but I must! Can he do some damage with 25ish minutes of burn? I really don’t know. Outside of a smattering of points, probably not.
46. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – He’s having a nice training camp but whatevs.
47. Harrison Barnes – Burp.
Next up: Top somethin’ somethin’ Centers