With the rankings and projections of the Top 25 fantasy basketball Point Guards, Shooting Guards, Small Forwards and Power Forwards all wrapped up, we move to the really big boys of the NBA, the centers! This list will complete individual position rankings and next we’ll (I!) will post Top 25 Overall, then Top 50 Overall, then Top 75 Overall rankings, etc. All the way until Top 200 Overall. How damn exciting! A quick note: I refer you to the Top 25 Power Forwards if you don’t see someone you’re looking for on this list but the overall rankings will have a peaches to peaches ranking of each player. I used peaches there instead of apples because I felt like it. I like peaches, they are tasty. As an aside, I will also be doing a Top 40 C/F post, a Top 40 PF/SF post, a Top 40 PG/SG post and a Top 40 SG/SF post in the coming week. Yes, I want you to win! I care, man. Sniff. Ok, ok, let’s get to it. Off we go to the top 25 centers with projections!
1. Dwight Howard – If you like it then you better put a ring on it, if you like it then you better put a ring on it. Wha oh oh oh oh oh oh oh. There’s no truth to the rumor that’s what Dwight sang to Kobe Bryant. That would have been embarrassing.
Projections: 19.5 ppg/13 rpg/1.5 apg/.580 FG/.580 FT/1.3 spg/0 3s/165 blk/2.5 tov
2. Al Jefferson – I’ve got a friend named Big Al, the only difference between him and Al Jefferson is he’s white and 5’5 but he does play center for the West Orange Yeshiva’s of the Short Man’s Jewish Basketball League. Led the league in blocks. True story. No, it’s not.
Projections: 19 ppg/9.5 rpg/2 apg/.495/.770/.8 spg/0 3s/130 blk/1.5 tov
3. Andrew Bynum - I don’t know what a Synvisc injection is but that’s what Bynum received on Monday for his knee. You scared? Huh, huh, are ya? Don’t be scared, little girl. Put the lotion in the basket! I’m officially losing my mind after writing all these player blurbs.
Projections: 19.5 ppg/12 rpg/1.5 apg/.550/.685/.5 spg/0 3s/160 blk/2.5 tov
4. DeMarcus Cousins - In 32 games before the All Star Break DeMarcus shot .439 FG on 14 attempts per. In 32 games after the All Star Break DeMarcus shot .459 on 17 attempts per. I won’t mention the free throw splits though. I’m trying to be positive!
Projections: 20.5 ppg/10.5 rpg/2.5 apg/.460/.700/1.5 spg/0 3s/99 blk/2.7 tov
5. Al Horford – Al-Ho vomited all over many a fantasy owner’s hopes and dreams last year. Whatcha gonna do? Draft him again! Wheeeeeeee.
Projections: 15 ppg/9.5 rpg/3 apg/.550/.785/.9 spg/0 3s/95 blk/1.7 tov
6. Greg Monroe – The man can score the ball. The man can rebound the ball. The man can block the ball a bit but I’d like to see more. I’d also like him to get his shot attempts up from the 11.8 a year ago. If he doesn’t you’re not going to see a jump from the 15.4 points he averaged. In fact, he only averaged 10.4 FGA in 31 post all star break games. Insert sad face emoticon here. Shoot the damn bawl!, said Avery Johnson.
Projections: 16 ppg/10 rpg/2.5 apg/.520/.730/1.3 spg/0 3s/65 blk/2.4 tov
7. Brook Lopez – If I had a nickel for every time I’ve read what a poor rebounder Brook is, I’d be a rich man. I’m not even exaggerating, I’d be a millionaire. Really, I’m serious. Anyways, don’t expect big boards (shocking!) but the points, percentages and blocks are a nice tradeoff and I’m sure he’s going to look fabulous in black!
Projections: 19 ppg/6.5 rpg/1.5 apg/.495/.790/.6 spg/0 3s/120 blk/2.2 tov
8. Marc Gasol – You know what I’ve come to like about Marc Gasol? Besides the fact he’s a tremendously handsome man, I mean. He plays games! 81 of 82 games two years ago. 65 of 66 last year. I like that. I hope he can do it again this year. He better!
Projections: 14 ppg/9 rpg/2.5 apg/.530/.740/.9 spg/0 3s/135 blk/2 tov
9. Marcin Gortat – He’s not even the best athlete in his family. That honor goes to his twin brother who is also named Marcin. I know, I know confusing! The other Marcin is a high jumper for the Polish National team. His father’s name is Martin and his sister’s name is Marion. None of this is true. What is true is Marcin is gooooood.
Projections: 15.5 ppg/10 rpg/1 apg/.545/.670/.8 spg/0 3s/120 blk/2 tov
10. Roy Hibbert – Hibbs, that’s what his wife calls him. That’s the rumor anyway. As for his abilities on the court, I’d expect more of the same this year and next year, too!
Projections: 12.5 ppg/9 rpg/1.7 apg/.495/.730/.5 spg/0 3s/160 blk/2 tov
11. Andrew Bogut – I don’t know man, I just don’t know. The last time Golden State had a traditional, post up, white center, the guy shot 7% from the free throw line. No really, it’s true, look it up! Anyhoo, here are Bogus’s games played the last 6 seasons starting with last year: 12, 65, 69, 33, 78 (anomoly!), 66. The only thing I know is if I own this fool he’s guaranteed to miss half the season. If I don’t own him, he’s guaranteed to go double double with blocks galore and play every game. I’m not going to tell you if I own him or not though but I probably won’t. Can’t risk it for the likely price! Oh, I meant Bogut, not Bogus … I think.
Projections: 13.5 ppg/10.5 rpg/2.2 apg/.510/.610/.8 spg/0 3s/155 blk/2 tov
12. Joakim Noah – I don’t see his offensive game progressing much especially with a scoring forward like Carlos Boozer playing alongside him but he’s plenty solid for the minimum stuff you want/need/prefer/hope from your center. Just don’t watch him shoot a free throw, it aint pretty.
Projections: 10.5 ppg/10.4 rpg/2.2 apg/.515/.745/.7 spg/0 3s/115 blk/1.8 tov
13. Chris Kaman – He really surprised the heck out of me last year with a nice bounce back season. Can he continue it in Dallas? What say you, Magic 8 Ball? Meh, he’ll be decent. Since when is “Meh” an option, Magic 8 Ball? Same day I got my iPhone 5 and started texting. Oh.
Projections: 13 ppg/7.8 rpg/2 apg/.480/.755/.5 spg/0 3s/120 blk/2.7 tov
14. Nene Hilario – Meu amigo! Did you know “nene” in Portuguese means baby? It’s true. Ironic, isn’t it? Here in the US of A it’s like calling a bouncer “Tiny”. Really, it’s not that original. Oh, and it’s not “nay-nay”, it’s “ne-nay”, please stop mispronouncing it. It’s embarrassing.
Projections: 14.5 ppg/7.6 rpg/2 apg/.560/.680/1.2 spg/0 3s/80 blk/2 tov
15. Tyson Chandler – I think his 11.3 ppg average last year will regress this year and that’s why I have him just a notch below Joakim Noah but if you absolutely must rate Tyson higher, I’m cool. Like Joe.
Projections: 10 ppg/9.4 rpg/1 apg/.590/.710/.8 spg/0 3s/98 blk/1.5 tov
16. JaVale McGee – If I come out of any auction/draft with JaVale as my number 1 center I’ll probably be feeling a little uncomfortable, like when I wear tiny whiteys instead of boxer shorts. He’s perfect as a 2nd center because he could end up exploding and win you your league. If he ends up back in the dog house playing 20 minutes a night, you can live with it. Just an observation. That’s what I do, I observe!
Projections: 10.5 ppg/8.5 rpg/1 apg/.535/.570/.6 spg/0 3s/180 blk/1.5 tov
17. Anderson Varejao - When you start to become more famous for your haircut, headband and injury proninity (made up word!) than for your fantasy prowess, you’ve got issues. Anderson, don’t go there, man, don’t do it. Step up, brah! It’s now or never, brah. Are you listening, Anderson?
Projections: 10.5 ppg/10 rpg/1.5 apg/.530/.665/1 spg/0 3s/75 blk/1.5 tov
18. JJ Hickson – Knock, knock. Who’s there? Opportunity. Opportunity who? You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo (You better). Oops, sorry, I lost myself in the moment. Where was I? Oh, right, JJ. In 14 April games, J.J. averaged 33.1 mpg/14.9 ppg/9.2 rpg/1.4 apg/.506/.707/.4 spg/1.1 blk. As an aside, the year before last, JJ averaged 31.9 mpg/16.8 ppg/10.8 rpg/.7 spg/.7 bpg in 26 games after the All Star Break. Coincidence? Hmmmm. Maybe he’s just a second half player. Or maybe this is the year he puts together a full season of solid ballin’. We’ll see!
Projections: 13.5 ppg/8 .2rpg/1.5 apg/.475/.670/.5 spg/0 3s/65 blk/2.3 tov
19. Nikola Pekovic - Klay Thompson, Gordon Hayward, Nikola Pekovic. If you read me daily last year, these are just a few names who I told you to scoop up quick, quick before your league mates had any clue. If you listened, chances are you probably had some fantasy glory! I know many of you did. Anyway, don’t be shy on Pek this year, go ahead, draft him, it’s ok. Go on now, run along.
Projections: 14 ppg/7.5 rpg/1 apg/.550/.735/.6 spg/0 3s/60 blk/1.8 tov
20. DeAndre Jordan – Let’s take a look at what young DeAndre can do for you. Blocks. Check. Rebounds. Check. Field Goal. Check. Points. Not so much. Steals. A little bit. Assists. Not at all. Threes. None! Free throw. Negative (literally!). Add it all up and he’s limited! But for what he do, he be useful. Ebonics!
Projections: 7.5 ppg/8 rpg/.5 apg/.620 FG/.500 FT/.5 spg/0 3s/160 blk/1.5 tov
21. Glen Davis – He’s starting at PF for Orlando but I’ll throw him onto the center rankings since he’s mostly likely C eligible in your league. He’s also pretty fat but so is Roy Nelson from the UFC and he does pretty good (well!).
Projections: 14 ppg/8 rpg/1 apg/.450/.700/1 spg/0 3s/40 blk/1.1 tov
22. Omer Asik – Wanna know what’s funny about Omer Asik this year? He’s the guy that every expert hypes so much as a sleeper that he ends up being over drafted. Don’t be that guy! That said, he’s a nice sleeper this year. Doh!
Projections: 7.5 ppg/9 rpg/1.5 apg/.480 FG/.500 FT/1.2 spg/0 3s/130 blk/1.5 tov >>>>> semi-educated guess!
23. Jonas Valanciunas – Andrea Bargnani and Valanciunas defending on the same team. Sounds like chop liver to me but what do I know? Anyway, I like this kid, keep your eye on him. Just one eye is sufficient. Use the other eye to read that Playboy magazine if you’d like. Whatever floats your boat.
Projections: 9 ppg/6 rpg/2 apg/.500/.800/.5 spg/0 3s/80 blk/2.0 tov >>>> hard to predict man, hard to predict.
24. Byron Mullens – The guy basically only has to beat out Tyrus Thomas. Remember Tyrus? Ugh. If you prefer a potential big block guy, feel free to sub in Bismack Biyombo here. I said big block guy!
Projections: 11 ppg/6 rpg/1 apg/.430/.810/.4 spg/0 3s/80 blk/1.5 tov
25. Sam Dalembert – Or Dalem-bear if you want to speak French and impress your girlfriend. In 21ish minutes could he block 1.5 balls and grab 6 or 7 boards? Probably. You’ll want him doing it for the other guy’s team though. Feel free to throw Biyombo or Andre Drummond ahead of him, you know, someone with upside!
Projections: 7 ppg/6.5 rpg/.5 apg/.500/.735/.5 spg/0 3s/105 blk/1.3 tov
Others to look for in my Top 200 Overall coming later this week, in no particular order, are Bismack Biyombo, Marcus Camby, Andre Drummond, DeJuan Blair, Nikola Vucevic, Tiago Splitter, Meyers Leonard, Ekpe Udoh, Drew Gooden and Emeka (ewww) Okafor, not his real middle name.
Next up: Top 25 Overall Fantasy Players