Now that we’ve got the rankings and projections for the Top 125 Overall players for fantasy basketball 2012/13 all served up and ready, let’s switch gears a bit. I know you guys (girl!) are always looking for more info so this post ranks the top 60 guard eligible players from Yahoo! For you ESPNers, I’m sure this list will do you some good, too. If it doesn’t go make your own damn list! Ha, just kidding, I want you to win. I care! Sniff.
1. Chris Paul - Last year I had Derrick Rose ranked ahead of CP3. Why? Health reasons, of course. Duh!
Projections: 20 ppg/10 apg/4.2 rpg/.475/.860/90 3s/2.4 spg/8 blk/2.5 tov
2. Russell Westbrook – Russell fn Westbrook, my main man. Let me recap something very, very, very important about Russell fn Westbrook: 5 seasons in the NB fn A and never missed a game!
Projections: 23.5 ppg/6 apg/4.8 rpg/.445/.830/70 3s/1.7 spg/30 blk/3.5 tov
3. Dwyane Wade – Whatever there is to say about DWade during the season you won’t be reading about it here. We are hardcore up in here at hecmanhoops so if you want your ass kissed about your star player head on over to Rotoworld!
Projections: 24 ppg/4.5 apg/5.5 rpg/.490/.775/1.7 spg/60 3s/80 blk/3 tov
4. Deron Williams – I’ll be honest, I’m really not a fan of the close cropped beard look. It’s just too manicured for my taste, looks kind of ridiculous if you ask me. I mean if I had to choose between a Deron Williams beard and a James Harden beard, I’m all in on Jimmy’s beard but that’s just me. I can barely grow a whisker though so what do I know?
Projections: 19.5 ppg/10.5 apg/4 rpg/.465/.810/75 3s/1.2 spg/12 blk/3.3 tov
5. Kobe Bryant – Not sure if you knew this but Kobe is my favorite player in the NBA. I didn’t even mind when he got caught cheating on his wife. I’m just happy it wasn’t me he got caught with. Phew.
Projections: 25 ppg/4.5 apg/5 rpg/.460/.825/1.3 spg/110 3s/12 blk/3 tov
6. Kyrie Irving – There was once a song from the 80′s called Kyrie by Mr. Mister. I hated that god damn song but I love Kyrie Irving. I best get me some Kyrie Irving on a few of my teams this year, y’all! You do the same.
Projections: 20.5 ppg/6.5 apg/4.2 rpg/.470/.870/105 3s/1.3 spg/25 blk/3.2 tov
7. Ty Lawson – You like percents from your point guard? Here you go, big boy (girl).
Projections: 16.5 ppg/6.5 apg/3.6 rpg/.485/.820/90 3s/1.3 spg/10 blk/2.5 tov
8. Monta Ellis – In 21 games after the deal, Monta averaged 36 mpg/17.6 ppg/5.9 apg/.432/.764/.6 3pm/1.4 spg/.3 bpg/2.6 tov. Numbers that clearly make you go, hmmm. Am I right or am I right? Trick question! I think he was just getting warmed up though.
Projections: 21 ppg/5.7 apg/3.5 rpg/.460/.790/2 spg/90 3s/20 blk/3 tov
9. Brandon Jennings – I refer you back to my Top 75 Overall post last December where I had Brandon ranked 40th overall, way higher than most of us other, um, experts. BJ didn’t let me down unlike other BJs can but I wouldn’t really know, I’m married.
Projections: 18.5 ppg/5.8 apg/3.5 rpg/.415/.810/140 3s/1.5 spg/25 blk/2.3 tov
10. Rajon Rondo – Here’s what I said last December about Rajon: “There’s no question that Rajon has some serious shortcomings despite what his mother may think. What, my boy don’t got no shortcomings! Yes, Mrs. Rondo, he does. No, he don’t! Yes, he does, Mrs. Rondo, how do you explain his horrible free throw percentage and lack of threes then? It’s the rim, the damn rim be moving all over the place. Oh.” Same thing, different year.
Projections: 12.5 ppg/11 apg/4.7 rpg/.470/.630/20 3s/2 spg/8 blk/3.3 tov
11. Goran Dragic – I don’t know why but whenever I say his name out loud I find myself sounding like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Try it, it’s fun.
Projections: 17 ppg/7 apg/3.3 rpg/.470/.840/150 3s/1.7 spg/10 blk/3.2 tov
12. Stephen Curry – I’d love to throw Steph higher and if he stays healthy he could give you first round value but I wouldn’t count on it and I’m definitely not reaching for him. Do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya?
Projections: 19 ppg/5.9 apg/4 rpg/.480/.910/150 3s/1.7 spg/20 blk/3.1 tov
13. Joe Johnson – JJ’s gonna be rockin’ the Barclay’s Center this season with Jay Z in the house, y’all! He’s averaged 36.7 mpg for his career, he may exceed that this year. The Nyets want to win, damn it!
Projections: 18.5 ppg/4 apg/4 rpg/.450/.820/1 spg/135 3s/10 blk/2 tov
14. James Harden – Jimmy Beard! Can we get this nickname hash tagged on Twitter or something? Let’s start a movement, man. Come on, let’s go! No? Ok, fine.
Projections: 16 ppg/3.5 apg/4 rpg/.475/.845/1 spg/145 3s/25 blk/2.2 tov1
15. Andre Iguodala – If Iggy continues to average only 10-11 heaves per game, you’re looking at continued mediocre points production (12ish). If he goes back to pre-2010 heave totals of 14ish per, you’re looking at 16ish ppg. I’m willing to bet he’s closer to the latter. That’s the second one for you SAT challenged readers.
Projections: 15 ppg/6 rpg/5.5 apg/.460/.720/1.5 spg/95 3s/40 blk/2.5 tov
16. Marcus Thornton – Why do I feel Marcus doesn’t get the respect he deserves. Look at those numbers! Look at ‘em. Go ahead, don’t be shy. It’s free to look!
Projections: 18 ppg/2.5 apg/3.5 rpg/.440/.825/1.4 spg/150 3s/12 blk/2 tov
17. Steve Nash – He doesn’t steal, doesn’t shoot the 3 ball as much as he used to, goes to the line only 2.8 times per game over his career which somewhat tempers his FT% value, hasn’t averaged less than 3.3 turnovers a season since 03/04. Let’s see, anything else I can say bad about him? And for this they got rid of Ramon Sessions?? (You have to say it with an old Long Island Jewish lady’s accent, it’s funny, trust me). On the plus side, a smattering of points, FG%, FT% and oh those assists baby!
Projections: 13 ppg/10.5 apg/3 rpg/.495/.915/90 3s/.5 spg/6 blk/3.5 tov
18. John Wall – The Dougie let me down a bit last year but I’m still on board with my main man up in here. I honestly doubt he ever gets to elite with his poor FG and lack of threes but boss is solid. Or is it hoss? Take note of the blocks, said Dwyane Wade.
Projections: 17.5 ppg/8.2 apg/4.5 rpg/.420/.785/15 3s/1.9 spg/50 blk/3.6 tov
19. Nicolas Batum – When I think of Nic I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Not many guys are capable of averaging a steal, block and three per. Let’s see, Durant and Gay. Oh, and Batum! Not bad, man, not bad at all! Go go go.
Projections: 15.5 ppg/5.2 rpg/2 apg/.455/.835/1 spg/150 3s/80 blk/1.7 tov
20. Tyreke Evans – Will the real Tyreke Evans please stand up. I know you can’t see which Tyreke just stood up but I can and it’s the one closer to last year’s numbers than his phenomenal rookie season. Don’t be sad though, it’s not that bad.
Projections: 16.5 ppg/4.5 apg/5.0 rpg/.450/.770/45 3s/1.4 spg/40 blk/2.8 tov
21. Jrue Holiday – Jrue slayed me last year and not in a good way, brah. That said, With Andre Iguodala out of the way, I’m willing to give my boy a second chance. That’s just me, I’m nice like that.
Projections: 14 ppg/5 apg/3.5 rpg/.445/.790/90 3s/1.6 spg/23 blk/2.3 tov
22. Mike Conley – What the heck does Mike Conley do well? Well, according to his mother, everything. However, I submit to you that she’s biased and advise you not listen to her. In any event, regardless of what Mrs. Conley thinks, Mikey is solid yet unspectacular. Unless you look at his steals. His steals are pretty spectacular. Don’t be afraid to roll with Mikey, man. It’s all good.
Projections: 13.5 ppg/6.5 apg/3.2 rpg/.445/.815/80 3s/2 spg/15 blk/2.3 tov
23. Kyle Lowry – Feel free to kick Kyle up a a notch or three if you think Jose Calderon will get moved and/or Lowry plays a lot of two which will probably happen. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he ended up a top 10 or 12 overall ranked guard, health permitting.
Projections: 15 ppg/6.5 apg/4.2 rpg/.425/.790/100 3s/1.3 spg/18 blk/2.5 tov
24. Paul George – An off guard who averaged less than 30 minutes a game (ok, 29.7 but still I’m technically right!) while still posting 5.6 boards, 1.6 steals, 1.3 threes and over 12 ppg makes me pretty damn excited. The proverbial arrow is pointing up, brah! Or is it metaphorical?
Projections: 13.5 ppg/3 apg/6 rpg/.445/.810/1.7 spg/115 3s/50 blk/1.8 tov
25. Tony Parker – Why do I get the impression that Tony Parker thinks his shit doesn’t stink? F’n French.
Projections: 17 ppg/6.8 apg/3 rpg/.485/.770/20 3s/.8 spg/7 blk/2.5 tov
26. Jeremy Lin – Don’t forget he put up most of his big stat lines in Mike D’Antoni’s point guard friendly offense. Oh, not familiar with that? Ask Raymond Felton.
Projections: 15 ppg/7 apg/3.5 rpg/.435/.840/75 3s/1.4 spg/5 blk/4 tov
27. Arron Afflalo – Can I just say that players in the NBA have some strange name spellings. Shouldn’t Arron be Aaron? What the hell is an Afflalo? Why does DeMar DeRozan have four capital letters in his name, he only has two names! Anyways, you’re not going to get many steals but I’ll happily trade that shortcoming for his solid percents while tossing in around 1.4 threes per. You should consider doing the same. I’m here for you, man.
Projections: 16.5 ppg/2.8 apg/3.5 rpg/.470/.810/.6 spg/120 3s/30 blk/1.5 tov
28. Lou Williams – Looking good, Louis! Feeling good, Billy Ray! Oh, I loved Trading Places. Hey, Mortimor, we’re back in business!
Projections: 16 ppg/4 apg/3 rpg/.420/.810/1 spg/105 3s/20 blk/1.5 tov
29. Manu Ginobili – At only 27.9 mpg for his entire career, Manu is one of the most efficient fantasy players in the NBA. Shall we throw out last year’s injury plagued season and assume he’ll get back close to 2010-11 levels? Meh, not quite but good enough!
Projections: 16.5 ppg/4.5 apg/3.8 rpg/.450/.870/1.4 spg/125 3s/25 blk/2 tov
30. Maurice Williams – Did you know Maurice is only 29 years old? That shocked the crap out of me for whatever reason. Anyhoo, as Mr. T once said, “Gotta lotta Mo”. Then he punched Rocky in the face repeatedly until Rocky was K.O.d. You know how hard it is to knock out Rocky? Ivan Drago couldn’t even do it and he was on steroids! Nobody is on steroids these days.
Projections: 15.2 ppg/5.5 apg/3 rpg/.435/.870/140 3s/1 spg/10 blk/3 tov
31. Damian Lillard – In the summer league dude averaged 26.5 ppg, 5.3 apg and 4 rpg. He also went to Weber State and I still have no idea where that is. I predict he’ll be 2nd in the ROY voting. Go get ‘em!
Projections: 16.5 ppg/5.3 apg/4 rpg/.415/.850/100 3s/1 spg/10 blk/3.3 tov
32. Gordon Hayward - Gordon broke out second half last season averaging around 14 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg, over a three per and solid, solid percents. Oh, he also tossed in half a block per and almost a steal a game. Oh, he’s also SG/SF. Bonus!
Projections: 14.5 ppg/4.3 rpg/3,2 apg/.475/.845/.9 spg/90 3s/50 blk/2 tov ->>> I’m a fan, what can I say?
33. Kevin Martin – Did he screw you last year? Do you have a bad taste in your mouth about Kev-Mart? Well, wash that taste right out of your mouth, gargle or something. I use Listerine, I like the burn or I get it in my head that the germs didn’t die. I know I’m not the only one.
Projections: 18.5 ppg/2.5 apg/3 rpg/.435/.875/1 spg/150 3s/10 blk/2.5 tov
34. Klay Thompson – Many of you made the playoffs or finished in the money last season because of shrewd pick ups like Klay Thompson and Gordon Hayward before anyone else saw their explosions coming. I hope you listened last year. If you did, congrats! Now pay for Klay this year. Go ahead, don’t be shy, go on now.
Projections: 16.5 ppg/3 apg/3.2 rpg/.440/.880/1.1 spg/130 3s/30 blk/2.2 tov
35. Eric Gordon – What does 0+0 equal? Trick question!
Projections: 22 ppg/2.8 apg/3.5 rpg/.450/.795/1.2 spg/120 3s/12 blk/3 tov (if healthy)
36. Isaiah Thomas – I’m pretty excited about Isaiah Thomas this year and I don’t mean that in a sexual harassment kind of way.
Projections: 15 ppg/5.3 apg/3 rpg/.410/.835/120 3s/.9 spg/8 blk/2.3 tov
37. Wesley Matthews – Consider him a slight sleeper, who doesn’t love a good sleeper? Unless it’s a pull out sleeper. I hate those pull out sleepers, they always kill my back.
Projections: 14.5 ppg/1.7 apg/3.5 rpg/.445/.850/1.5 spg/130 3s/15 blk/1.5 tov
38. Jeff Teague – Devin Harris was brought in to back up Teague so I wouldn’t have a problem if you bumped him down slightly here. His mother might have a problem with it but I’m cool. I’d take him though. I mean I really, really don’t like Devin Harris!
Projections: 13 ppg/5.2 apg/3 rpg/.470/.785/75 3s/1.5 spg/35 blk/2.1 tov
39. Kemba Walker - As a starter last year, Kemba averaged 14.5 ppg/4.9 apg/5 rpg/.352/.798/1.4 3pm/1 spg/.5 bpg/2.3 tov. Sweet! I mean except the FG, blech. Hey, you can’t have it all, man. Greedy!
Projections: 13.5 ppg/4.9 apg/4.5 rpg/.385/.795/105 3s/1 spg/20 blk/2.3 tov
40. Brandon Knight – The FG is a concern but he should get regular playing time. Who doesn’t like regular playing time?
Projections: 13 ppg/4.3 apg/3.5 rpg/.395/.765/110 3s/.8 spg/10 blk/2.6 tov
41. Jameer Nelson – Maybe the Magic won’t be so great as a real NBA team but, really, who gives a crap about that?? I’d be happy to throw Jameer on my team as a back end point guard and I’m not even related to the guy.
Projections: 12 ppg/5.8 apg/3.2 rpb/.440/.810/95 3s/.8 spg/8 blk/2.3 tov
42. Raymond Felton – Hey, Raymond Felton is a Knick again! Remember two years ago when he was on the Knicks, he was like the best fantasy point guard like ever. Yeah, not so much now.
Projections: 11.5 ppg/6 apg/3 rpg/.420/.800/80 3s/1.2 spg/10 blk/2.6 tov
43. Rodney Stuckey – Despite his talent, I didn’t give Rodney his due respect for fantasy simply because Ben Gordon was always around to eat into his minutes a bit and that annoyed me. This year, who’s going to take his minutes? Terrance Williams? Nah. Will Bynum? Kim English? Burp.
Projections: 15 ppg/3.9 apg/3 rpg/.435/.840/1 spg/45 3s/15 blk/2.2 tov
44. Jason Terry – He looked funny in red, then he looked funny in blue, now he’ll look funny in green. The more things change the more they stay the same!
Projections: 15 ppg/3.5 apg/2 rpg/.450/.850/1.1 spg/115 3s/15 blk/2 tov
45. Ricky Rubio – I’m as big a fan as anyone but his FG% still lacks severely and he’ll likely be eased back into the lineup in December. Hopefully, he’ll be back up to speed by the turn of the year though! Bump him up if you just have to have his nose on your team.
Projections: 11 ppg/8.5 apg/4 rpg/.385/.810/1.9 spg/.7 3pm/.2 bpg/3.2 tov
46. Kawhi Leonard - What happens when the coach falls in love with you? You usually get stalked, that’s what. Just kidding. No I’m not. As a starter last year Kawhi averaged 26.1 mpg/8.6 ppg/5.4 rpg/1.3 apg/.480/.770/1.3 spg/.8 3pm/.4 bpg/.8 tov. I expect improvement pretty much across the board this season. Keep your eye on him mid to late, y’all.
Projections: 11 ppg/6 rpg/2 apg/.475/.780/1.5 spg/80 3s/40 blk/1.3 tov
47. Jared Dudley – Good peoples of fantasy hoops land, I submit to you the forgotten shooting guard in Phoenix who disappointed last year. His name is Jared Dudley, not to be confused with Chris Dudley, he of the underhanded free throw which was really embarrassing. Jared was a sleeper heading into last year but he disappointed. Sniff. Can you say post-sleeper sleeper? Wheeeeeee.
Projections: 14.5 ppg/2 apg/4.5 rpg/.480/.770/1 spg/120 3s/30 blk/1.5 tov
48. Greivis Vasquez - My Greivis is not with Vasquez! As long as Austin Rivers doesn’t cut into his time, I mean. Anyway, I give him this ranking counting on Eric Gordon getting hurt. If that happens, GV will probably see combo minutes, too. Right? We are so clever. If you don’t think I’m so clever, feel free to drop him down below Darren Collison and George Hill. Your call.
Projections: 11.5 ppg/6.5 apg/2.5 rpg/.435/.825/1 spg/75 3s/5 blk/3 tov
49. George Hill – Coach likes him running the point as the starter. I like him running the point as the starter. You like him running the point as the starter. Now let’s all scream for ice cream! That made no sense but whatever. Anyway, he’s worth a bit more in tov leagues. D.J. Augustin aint (isn’t!) bad though so that concerns me a bit. Just sayin’ (saying!).
Projections: 12 ppg/5 apg/3.5 rpg/.440/.780/.9 spg/90 3s/25 blk/1.8 tov
50. Darren Collison – Darren Collison is about as exciting as paint drying on the wall. Dude is still living off his two month run when he filled in for Chris Paul in 2009. He’s useful though! Kind of …
Projections: 10.5 ppg/4.5 apg/3 rpg/.450/.845/55 3s/1 spg/10 blk/2.5 tov
51. Gerald Henderson – Gerald is hard-nosed! Don’t you love how players get reputations for no real reason. The black guy is athletic. The white guy is hardworking and crafty. The Asian guy will out-think you. Anyway, feel free to bump G-Hen down a notch or two for a 3 point specialist if you’re in need late.
Projections: 15 ppg/2.4 apg/4 rpg/.455/.770/.9 spg/20 3s/30 blk/1.9 tov
52. Trevor Ariza – Everyone knows that Trevor is well known for his three point shooting ability. There’s only one problem though. Last year he hardly hit any of them! Here’s the thing, if you draft a guy who hasn’t had a FG% over .412 since the 2009 season, at least make sure you get some threes out of him. Am I right or am I right? Rhetorical! If you’re real desperate for steals, a smattering of boards, a few assists late in your draft or auction then Trevor is your man. Just move him along quick quick if he gets off to a hot start. Your percents will thank you.
Projections: 10.7 ppg/5.2 rpg/2.8 apg/.400/.700/1.6 spg/70 3s/40 blk/2 tov
53. J.R. Smith – For now, it appears he’ll be coming off the bench but will do what he do in 27ish mpg anyway. It’s raining threes, hallelujah!
Projections: 12.5 ppg/2.5 apg/3.8 rpg/.420/.730/1.3 spg/130 3s/15 blk/1.3 tov
54. DeMar DeRozan - Outside of points you’re looking at pretty much an empty line night in and night out. I’ve never been a huge fan and I’m not sure we’ll see any improvement with Toronto’s depth at SG and SF. Unless you’re desperate for points, it would behoove you to tread carefully here. You’ve been behooved!
Projections: 16 ppg/3.1 rpg/2 apg/.455/.810/.8 spg/30 3s/30 blk/2 tov
55. Luke Ridnour - Health permitting he should get most of the run at the point until Ricky Rubio comes back and when Brandon Roy, inevitably, gets hurt he’ll see some combo minutes. You could do worse!
Projections: 11.5 ppg/4.5 apg/2.5 rpg/.440/.870/1.1 spg/75 3s/20 blk/1.8 tov
56. O.J. Mayo – New life in Dallas but Roddy Beaubouis, or Boobwah if want to get all French about it, looms. Delonte West looms. I don’t know, I like him though, he seems like a nice man.
Projections: 13.5 ppg/2.5 apg/3 rpg/.425/.785/1.2 spg/115 3s/25 blk/2 tov
57. Mike Dunleavy - Young Tobias Harris is the only thing standing in the way of Dunleavy and solid minutes at the small forward position for Milwaukee. That said, I like his chances to be a decent late round grab given his situation. To get you all pumped up I checked out what he did as a starter last year. Here you go: 30 mpg/10.3 ppg/4.3 rpg/4 apg/.320 FG (anomaly!)/.769 FT/1 spg/1.7 3pm. But hecman, he only started 3 games last year. Fine, but now you’re just nitpicking!
Projections: 12.5 ppg/3.5 rpg/2.5 apg/.460/.810/.5 spg/120 3s/10 blk/1.2 tov
59. Jason Richardson – There’s Q-Rich, there’s J-Rich, there’s Pooh Rich. I just say they are all rich. Count on mid to high 20s mpg for J-Rich and solid threes but not much more. Sniff.
Projections: 11.5 ppg/2 apg/3.5 rpg/.435/.730/1 spg/130 3s/30 blk/1.5 tov
60. Evan Turner – Other, um, experts, have young Evan much higher and that’s fine but I’m hesitant, man. You’ve got Dorrell Wright, you’ve got Thad Young who can slide to the 3, you’ve got Nick Young and Jason Richardson who could play together with Jrue Holiday if the Sixers decide to go small at times. I don’t know, man, it seems a bit crowded. Consistency may be an issue. Prove me wrong, Evan! I’m rooting for you ole boy.
Projections: 12 ppg/6 rpg/2.8 apg/.440/.720/.8 spg/20 3s/50 blk/1.8 tov
Bonus! Three more …
61. Jordan Crawford – Once John Wall comes back around Thanksgiving, he’ll be fighting for minutes with Bradley Beal but, for now, I’ll go ahead and give the nod to the experienced player. Don’t forget, JC is still only 23. Keep an eye on this one though, y’all.
Projections: 14.5 ppg/3 apg/2.5 rpg/.410/.800/1.spg/100 3s/8 blk/2.2 tov
62. Dion Walters – Looks like he may have won the starting shooting guard job. I like him a bit even though I’ve never met him.
Projections: 11 ppg/3.1 rpg/3 apg/.390/.770/.8 spg/45 3s/10 blk/2 tov >>>> Hard to say, man, hard to say.
63. Tony Allen – Tony, Tony, Tony has done it again! Done what, you ask? Why he stole the ball, of course. He’s not your prototypical two guard because he hits virtually no threes but as an end game option you could definitely do worse. Just ask MarShon Brooks.
Projections: 10 ppg/1.5 apg/4 rpg/.475/.780/1.8 spg/15 3s/40 blk/1.8 tov
Next up: Top 40 Centers/Power Forwards